Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chinese Cabbage


This is the first year I planted Chinese cabbage. I picked up a couple of plants at the feed store. I planted them about 1 foot apart. At first they were not doing will. I think they were drying out to fast in the harsh wind . I mulched them with leaves and immediately noticed a difference. A couple of weeks later I fertilized with fish emulsion and they took off. Yesterday I noticed two of them were starting to bolt. I wasn't ready to pick them but I cut those two off at the ground. Together they were about 4 lbs. On Facebook I asked if anyone had a good recipe for Chinese cabbage and boy at the response. I decided on a Ham and Cabbage Soup.
Ham and Chinese Cabbage Soup
1 tbsp butter
2 stalks celery, chopped (I left this out we do not like celery)
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 tbsp flour
2 c chicken bouillon or broth
1 1/2 c cooked ham, diced(i used left over ham bone i had in my freezer)
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 c shredded Chinese cabbage
Saute celery and onion in butter. Stir in flour. Add bouillon and cook, stirring until bubbly, Add ham, bay leaf, and cabbage cook until ham is heated and cabbage is limp.
I cooked it in a crock pot while I went out and mowed the lawn. It was good for a change. Kinda reminded us of mustard greens. I will have to try a different recipe tonight. I had intended to go out and plant corn after supper but by the time I got the grilled cheese cooked and kids fed it was getting late so I decided to just go out and watch the sun set.
First I had to put up goats. The chain was off the gate. So I got my kids to fetch the hammer and staples while I held the gate shut. Both me and my oldest son tried to hammer that staple in the gate and couldn't. Finally I sent for my husband. He got it hammered but it took him 10 minutes. Is old wood harder to nail? By this time I missed the sun set and just went in and got the kids in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment