Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I have had a very busy past few weeks.  I haven't had time to write anything down and that is disappointing to be because then I forget things.  I have a lot to do today as well so i will just post garden updates.

The corn is doing well it went from behind to the tallest in the area with all the rain we have had lately.  I had my four year old stand in the corn to give a perspective of how tall it is. It desperately needs weeded, but that will have to wait for another day.

 The butter beans are over the top of their support.  I do not see any blooms yet, and yes, it needs weeded too. As long as my plants are taller than my weeds I think I am doing good.
 The black eye peas are big and bushy but no runners or blooms yet.  These are one of my favorite things from the garden.  My mouth waters in anticipation of fresh peas and snaps.
 The okra finally decided to grow. I finally got the tall weeds knocked down so they could get light.  Okra needs hot weather to grow, and we are finally getting some.
 The sweet potato slips are up and the spot to plant them is tilled. Maybe this week I will get them planted.
 Tomatoes are doing great.  Big healthy plants. Not that many green tomatoes yet. I planted quite a few tomatoes so that I will have plenty to put up.
 We are eating squash now.  I have had two messes of it.  Squash is my son's favorite of all the garden vegetables.
We are also getting some new potatoes.  I was pricing them at the store and they are only .98 a pound.  I just thought they were more than that.
 Lots of onions.  We are using every other one so that we can have green onions now and bulb onions for later.  I plant the sweet onions so they don't last as long as the white onions.  I don't intend on trying to dry store that many in panty hose this year like I have done in the past.  They had got maggots and I really don't like that.  Maybe when I get that storage building built then they will keep better.
My lettuce has run away with me, but that is OK.  I am going to let it go to seed so that I can keep some to plant next year.  The less seed I have to buy the more profitable the garden.

1 comment: