Monday, February 20, 2012

Spring is in the air


 My young hens have started laying again and needed nest boxes. I am not good at building so I had to improvise. I had an old box step out of a trailer sitting in the yard so I took it and nailed two nails in each end of the step. I also put a nail at the top of the chickens lean to spaced apart the same length as the step. using a chain, I hung and secured the step at the same height as our other nest box. I nailed a board across the front and put three creats inside that I filled with shredded paper and leaves. The chickens love it and I am rewarded with 3 big brown eggs a day
 I haven't been able to till the garden yet due to rain, but we couldn't wait any longer to get started. Last year my husband built our son a small raised garden bed. He planted tomatoes in it last year but they didn't do very well. This year He is going to try his had at carrots. He planted the seeds then covered with a light layer of leaves to keep the wind from drying them out.
We also transplanted our garlic to a raised bed so the rest of the garden can be tilled to get ready for spring planting.

1 comment:

  1. I hopped over from the Barn hop! Really have enjoyed and shall be back. Stop by my blog and enter the give aways. I believe you will find the post titled "Back to Eden" a great watch for you.
    God Bless!
    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/02/2-great-give-aways.html

    ReplyDelete